But no matter where they were actually born, they inspire a global following now.
This is another adaptable cookie. It can be folded into many different shapes, including diamonds and squares, and be filled with a variety of flavors. One thing is for sure, these little cookies inspire a dedicated following online!
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pound shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 4 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup any flavor fruit jam
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for decoration
- Warm milk to just above room temperature. Dissolve the yeast in the milk, set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is mealy. Stir in the egg yolks and milk mixture. Knead the dough together and then refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dust a clean, dry surface with confectioners’ sugar. Knead the dough for a few minutes. Carefully roll out your dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out circles with a cookie cutter. Place a teaspoon of jam on the center of each circle, fold the dough over, and seal the edge with a fork.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Do not store in an airtight container or they will become soggy.