Burrebrede (Scottish Shortbread)
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice and salt. Divide into two equal parts, and set one aside. Add the flour and butter to the other half, and stir until blended. It should be slightly grainy.
- Press the dough evenly into an 8 inch square pan. Cut into 1×2 inch pieces using a knife, and prick with the tines of a fork. This will keep the shortbread from warping while baking. Sprinkle the reserved sugar and spice liberally over the top, brushing into all of the cuts and holes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden at the edges. Do not brown. Cool completely in the pan, and break into pieces along the lines to serve.