Iran has been in the news a great deal over the past several months and the Middle Eastern nation will likely continue to be in the headlines for a long time to come. Here are 10 things kids should know about Iran beyond the headlines.
1. Until 1935, Iran was known as Persia. Persia has had a vast cultural influence on the world in areas such as art, architecture, music, the weaving of rugs, science, and much more.
2. Iran borders the Gulf of Oman, the Persian Gulf, and the Caspian Sea. It shares land borders with Azerbaijan, Armenia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iraq.
3. Iran is the 18th-largest country on earth. It is slightly smaller than Alaska.
4. Persian is the official language but more than six other languages are also spoken.
5. 98% of the population practices Islam, with 89% following the Shia Islam and 9% following Sunni Islam.
6. One in four people in Iran are under the age of 14.
7. The vast majority of the population – 71% – live in urban areas.
8. Most children attend school for 13 years.
9. Most Iranians work in the services sector but industry and agriculture are also important.
10. Iranians use money called a rial.